[Discuss] BLU's SEO

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 12:43:23PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Derek Martin wrote:
> >It's based on the study of human behavior, and as such it's no more
> >and no less a science than psychology or sociology, IMO.
>
> Successful marketing is based on educated guesses and a great deal
> of luck in the face of whimsical markets, not on repeatable
> experimentation and observation like psychology and sociology are.

That's false (or at least open to interpretation).  Marketing employs
similar techniques as psychology to determine the impact of the
presentation of their message.  Marketeers obvously aren't attaching
electrodes to people's brains (at least, not as a rule), but a lot of
marketing data gathering involves statistical analysis of surveys and
focus group studies...  exactly like the application of those things
in psychological studies (theoretical science).  They also apply the
results of studies performed by psychologists in deciding how to craft
their message (applied science).  And the best techniques which result
from this application are taught to marketing students as marketing
dogma, so that non-scientific types need not be concerned with the
science, even if they are unknowingly using it.

Your description is most accurate in regard to advertising agencies,
which is only one aspect of marketing.

-=-=-=-=-