[Discuss] BLU's SEO

On 10/22/2013 03:45 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Joseph Guarino wrote:
>> With the greatest respect I have to disagree.  Your current
>> understanding of Marketing is biased to say the least.  Marketing is the
>> art/science of communicating value to customers.  There is nothing
>
> [snrk]
>
> Marketing is neither art nor science. It's the process of selling
> things. "Communicating value to customers" is corpspeak for advertising.

I beg to differ on this. Marketing is scientific in nature. While the
end result is sales, a lot of marketing has to do with product
development and planning, research into the market, even the colors of
the box. Advertising is certainly one part of it. I had a marketing
professor who claimed to be the guy who came up wioth the Arnold Stang
Orkin commercials in the 1970s. His point was the Arnold Stang was
obnoxious and so are bugs. He also opened a god food pland adjacent to a
chicken processing plant so he could get the discarded chicken parts
cheaper. However, his marketing efforts failed when the students
petitioned the dean not to let him use his book for the class (forcing
the students to buy it).  In any case there is a lot of science that
does go into marketing along with some non-scientific things like
intuition.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix