[Discuss] UEFI

On Thu, Oct 24, 2013 at 06:42:15AM -0400, John Abreau wrote:
> On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 12:41 PM, Bill Bogstad <bogstad at pobox.com> wrote:
> > But I would still  lose my DHCP, internal DNS, NFS, NTP, multiple user
> > account passwords, printer configs, crontabs, etc., etc., etc.; if I
> > did this.   Even though I only have a few machines, I don't run them
> > as if they were single-user Internet browsing machines.
>
> Everything you list there (other than "etc., etc., etc) is under either
> /etc or /var/named.  Backup both of those as well, and you've got
> all your config data.

Welll, sort of.  If you're upgrading your system, many of these files
will likely contain config which is obsoleted by your new versions, or
even may configure components which have been replaced entirely by
something newer.

This is unfortunately not an easy task, in the upgrade case.  First
doing an OS upgrade using your vendor's preferred method may help,
though I'm sure most of us have seen that result in disaster. =8^)

> I generally also run "rpm -qa > ~/ALL-INSTALLED-RPMS" before
> installing the newest Fedora or CentOS, so I retain a record of what
> packages had been installed prior to the upgrade.

This is a good idea; I've done this myself in the past too.  Though, I
don't use this approach anymore because I've found that I was
installing a lot of packages I never used...  I now just install
things when I actually want to use them.

-=-=-=-=-