[Discuss] UEFI

Blindly upgrading a server as-is, without knowing what's running on it, is a recipe for disaster. Such a system suffers a serious entropy risk, and ultimately becomes unmaintainable. Eventually it will suffer a disaster that will be unrecoverable.

I don't use the /etc backups directly, but only as documentation of how the old system was configured. Same with the list of packages that were installed on the old system.

If possible, I first do a dry run by building a test server that duplicates the production server to be upgraded.