[Discuss] UEFI

On Wed, Oct 23, 2013 at 11:37 AM, Richard Pieri <richard.pieri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Protip: put /home, /opt and /usr/local on dedicated partitions or volumes so
> that you can reformat /, /boot, etc., without erasing user data and custom
> software installs.

But I would still  lose my DHCP, internal DNS, NFS, NTP, multiple user
account passwords, printer configs, crontabs, etc., etc., etc.; if I
did this.   Even though I only have a few machines, I don't run them
as if they were single-user Internet browsing machines.

> It is not possible to go the other way (GPT to MBR) without wiping and
> reformatting the disk.

Apparently not always true.   This guy apparently wrote GPT fdisk:

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/

and has a page which describes how to do it (when it is possible):

http://www.rodsbooks.com/gdisk/mbr2gpt.html

He also discusses using Hybrid MBR/GPT partitioning on other web pages
as well as UEFI booting.   Looks like a good resource overall for
this.

Bill Bogstad