[Discuss] Full disk encryption, why bother?

On Tue, Jan 3, 2012 at 5:01 PM, Tom Metro <tmetro-blu at vl.com> wrote:
> Daniel Feenberg wrote:
>> I don't see much point in encrypting data on a network server - if the
>> disk is mounted then the plain-text is available to an intruder and the
>> addition of an encrypted version doesn't enhance security.
>
> It does if the intruder is physically stealing the disk drive or the
> server. This would also likely apply in a government seizure scenario.
> They'd likely remove the equipment from the premises first, and attempt
> access later. (Though maybe they've wised up to this possibility?0

Well at least some of them have.  I just heard about a company selling
a product to maintain power on seized computers while you transport
them:

http://www.wiebetech.com/products/HotPlug.php

It came up in the context of moving servers from one power jack to
another one due to data center power changes.  (Someone wanted to
avoid downtime.)

Bill Bogstad