Oracle Sues Google Over Android

On Aug 16, 2010, at 10:11 AM, Jerry Feldman wrote:

> PJ posted a pretty decent summary on Groklaw this morning:
> http://www.groklaw.net/article.php?story=20100815110101756
>
> Apparently, this is a result of failed negotiations between Google and
> Sun from before the Oracle acquisition. Personally, I don't suspect this
> to take a very long time before there is a settlement.

Yeah.  In one of his interviews, James Gosling mentioned that the Oracle attorneys' eyes lit up over the whole Java/Dalvik thing.  Sounds like Oracle has been planning this since it took over Sun.

This, combined with the Open Solaris stunt last week spells an end to open source contributions to Oracle and quite possibly the end of Java.

--Rich P.