Oracle Sues Google Over Android

On 08/14/2010 08:45 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2010, at 4:14 PM, Tom Metro wrote:
>  =20
>> The next SCO?
>> -Tom
>>    =20
> Not in the least.
>
> Reading into it, I see two real possibilities.  First is that Oracle wa=
nts a piece of the fortune that Google is making with Android devices.  A=
 court settlement would be quite satisfactory.

> Second is that Oracle is testing the legal waters for a similar suit ag=
ainst IBM over J9.  If Google capitulates then Oracle can potentially use=
 that as a lever against IBM.
>  =20
I would suspect that this may also test the Bilski decision. I suspect
that neither company wants a long drawn-out epic. Groklaw is also
covering this as they did with SCO.  Unlike SCO, Oracle clearly owns the
Java IP where in SCO vs. Novell the issue was whether the IP was
transferred with the APA or not when Novel sold Unix to Santa Cruz.=20
IMHO, neither company will benefit from a SCO-like scenario.

--=20
Boston Linux and Unix
PGP key id: 537C5846