Testing DVD writing drive

On Jun 15, 2009, at 11:48 AM, Laura Conrad wrote:
> It's the same batch I used for the recovery disks for my current
> laptop.  Do they go bad after a couple of years?

Recordable optical media can, yes, indeed, go bad.  At the heart of
the matter is the organic dyes used in the recording layer.

Commercially pressed discs (CDs and DVDs) have pits of varying depths
within the groove pressed directly into the metallic layer of the
media.  The varying depths have different reflectivity values which
translate to 0s and 1s.

CD-R, DVD-R and their cousins use organic dyes rather than a hard
metallic layer.  The recording laser changes the phase of the dye
where pressed discs would have pits.  Different phases have different
reflectivity values; see previous paragraph.  The problem is that the
dyes are organic, and they do decay.  How quickly depends on how well
the dye layer is sealed within polycarbonate.  High quality media can
last 10 years or more depending on storage conditions; cheap media can
fail within 2 to 4 years.

That's not to say that your problem is media failure.  Try recording
at a lower speed and see what happens.

For the record, not all recordable optical media use organic dyes.
Magneto-optical (MO) media use a combination of higher-powered write
lasers, metallic recording layers and magnetic fluxes to align atoms
within the recording layer.  Different alignments have different
reflectivity values; see previous.  MO media is far more durable than
organic dye media; it is also more expensive.

--Rich P.