Testing DVD writing drive

On Mon, Jun 15, 2009 at 11:15 AM, Laura Conrad<sunny-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> I got my new computer, and the first thing I tried to do was to make a
> set of recovery disks. ?It keeps failing; it writes the first disk and
> then tries to verify it and says it doesn't verify. ?I've made 3
> coasters this way.

Were they all from the same set of media?  If so, it could be a bad
batch of media rather then hardware/software.  If this doesn't solve
the problem, I would call vendor support.  Waiting on hold may be a
pain, but this is a case where they really have to solve the problem
or you can legitimately  demand your money back.  If their own
software doesn't work...  BTW, the first thing they are likely to tell
you is to try different media so do that first.

If you still want to try a linux system, I would use the SystemRescue
CD  LiveCD:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Main_Page

It can backup NTFS filesystems and can load itself to RAM to free up
the drive for burning (see the docache option here:

http://www.sysresccd.org/Sysresccd-manual-en_Booting_the_CD-ROM

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad