Testing DVD writing drive

I got my new computer, and the first thing I tried to do was to make a
set of recovery disks.  It keeps failing; it writes the first disk and
then tries to verify it and says it doesn't verify.  I've made 3
coasters this way.

I'd like to figure out whether this is a hardware problem, in which case
I should deal with it while it's under warranty, or a software problem
with the writing and/or verification of recovery disks.  Does anyone have a
good method for testing a DVD writing drive?

I'd like to get the recovery disks made before installing Linux, so the
ideal answer to this question wouldn't involve Linux at all, but I can
probably install Linux without clobbering Windows, or use a Live CD for
Linux.

It's an HP Pavilion Elite m9517c 2.2GHz Quad-Core Desktop PC w/ Blu-ray,
running Vista Home Premium.

--
Laura   (mailto:lconrad-O0WJhd4tT3hg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097	233 Broadway, Cambridge, MA 02139

What a natural history of religion would show is that the human
experience of the divine has deep roots in psychoactive plants and
fungi.  (Karl Marx may have gotten it backward when he called religion
the opiate of the people.)

Michael Pollan, _The Botany of Desire_