GUI for GnuPG?

On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 07:03:10PM -0400, D.E. Chadbourne wrote:
> Hello.  snip, snip, snip:
>
> >Most people use GPG for mail; the Enigmail plugin for Mozilla
> >and Mozilla Thunderbird is very easy to use.
> >
> >-dsr-
>
> Yep.  I'm not thinking of an MUA frontend.  I often encrypt folders on
> my pc and decrypt them only when needed.  I'ld rather click a button
> than type at the command line.  Don't hate me for that!  I really miss
> having the convenience of the PGP Corp product or something like
> ShellCrypt http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,1759,687039,00.asp to use for
> encrypting files on windows.  No reason I can't have a similar thing on
> Linux.

Indeed.  Actually, you can do much better than that.  You can store
your mail on an encrypted filesystem partition.  You might find this
useful:

  http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Loopback-Encrypted-Filesystem-HOWTO.html

With something like this, you don't need to deal with PGP at all, and
you can create a desktop shortcut to a shell script which mounts (and
unmounts too, if you like) the filesystem for you.

> That's what I hoped you would say!  I was worried about unknown
> problems.  Cool.  There shall be one soon.  Thanks for your advice.

Don't count on it.  There have been a number of front ends available
for some time, and they're basically all the same ones that you can
get now.  If you're not satisfied with them, you probably won't see
one you're satisfied with for quite some time to come.  But, maybe you
will...  That's the thing with open-source software...  People only
develop what they feel like developing.

-=-=-=-=-