Speaking of DNS and email problems.

Let me ask you this long question on DNS issues:

On Friday at 11 am I became unable to connect to my ISP (56K dialup)
because the DNS services failed. I surely thought this was their fault.
However, others were able to connect. So I tried different computers,
installed new browsers, system software, even tried different modems: no
success!

So I signed up with not one but two alternatve ISPs and spent even more
time (unsuccessfully) to connect. After a phone conversation with the new
ISP, which found that I indeed was fully logged in, I still could not get
connected-- again due to failed DNS.

As it turns out, the two ISPs in question (Adelphia and Fastdial) have only
one thing in common with their lines: my POTS line from the house down to
the Central switching office in Plymouth (NH). The backbones are completely
different as are the rest of their network. So despite a huge variation of
hardware and software, the issue remained: no DNS capacity!

How did I get it fixed? First, I harrangued on the Verizon service
department which had the gall to tell me they do not (by law or regulation)
have to guarentee the data connections. So I reminded them that the 1st
Amendment rights as well as civil rights in general are well protected by
federal statutes, and then I called the local police. I guess they got wind
of the aweful pain Title 18 Section 242 can create because not only did the
DNS service miraculously come back on, but it's REAL REAL FAST NOW!!! Of
course, I do have 3 ISPs for now.

So does anyone want to venture a guess on just how my DNS was blocked at
the CO and why?

-