More MediaOne woes

Niall Kavanagh wrote:

> On Wed, 20 Dec 2000, John Abreau wrote:
>

>> Sounds like I picked a very bad week to get it installed. Maybe this is an
>> inevitable result of all the corporate mergers we've been seeing.
>>

> It's entirely possible. I've noticed I'm getting scanned by different
> boxen on the Mediaone/AT&T network (they're checking open ports and even
> making sure sendmail doesn't relay mail), and more frequently.
>

>>> Are you losing block sync, or are you just losing your DHCP lease?
>>
>> I'm not sure. The lights on the cablemodem have been steady, if that says
>> anything. My address changed a couple times, but it keeps going back to
>> the same address shortly after changing.
>

> Are you always getting a 24.xxx.xxx.xxx address, or do you find yourself
> getting a 169.xxx.xxx.xxx (adapter default) address? You might try
> powering the modem on and off to clear things up, even if you _do_ have
> block synch.

I log about 35 - 40 Mb of denied and rejected packets every week on my firewall

connected to mediaone.

When I first got connected about 6 months ago it was only about 25Mb/week.

A lot of it seems to be misconfigured machines sending out all
types of broadcast packets ( I see a lot of broadcast packets
for port 2301, 2519, and 520. 520 is routed - so they are likely
RIP packets, I believe 2301 is a port some Compaq machines use for
something related ot a raid controller or something (not sure), and I
don't remember off th top of my head what 2519 is (these mostly come
from 169.xxx....  addresses.

Even still the script kiddies are out there and they will find you
if you don't protect yourself!

In terms of DHCP lease, never any problems. I use pump without any
problems, and I have been renumbered 2 or 3 times. Each time my
scripts have caught it and reconfigured the firewall rules. Rather than
spend any money i use a 486 with 16Mb of memeory I got for free. I
threw in a 1 gig hard drive and 2 NICS I also got for free, did an ftp
install of Linux and have been up and running with Mediaone with very
few problems and almost no network outages/downtime (only 2 or 3
instance each about 5 minutes). Right now using a cheap hub to
connect everything behind the firewall, but when they upgrade some
of our switches at work (I will try for a 100Mb switch to use).

for the money, Mediaone is a great deal. My father-in-law even switched
to their phone service. Anyone else tried it? If so let me know if you
like it and would recommend it or not.

-- Tom Guilderson

-