Building new computer. Thoughts?

> I want to build a new computer.  Normall I would just go to a Ken Gordon
> show, but there isn't going to be one for a while.  This machine will
> run dual-boot Windows and Linux (prolly NT, but I understand it's harder
> to make that dual-boot).

Dual booting NT takes a little bit of work, but nothing extraordinary.  I
haven't dealt with it in a while, but the general principle is to put a
linux option in the NT loader, which then jumps to lilo, and then jumps of
course, to your kernel.  There is a how-to on it that shouldn't be too
tough to follow.

> 1) ATX or non-ATX?  I didn't like ATX the last time I looked at them,
> but it's getting harder to find non-ATX motherboards and cases.  Do the
> on-board extra subsystems ever die?  Are they usually flexible enough to
> (dis|en)able individual subsystems, like com ports and IDE?

I have a few ATX motherboards and have had no problems with the onboard
devices.  I'd stay away from the ones with onboard sound or video, but
things like com ports are quite configurable through the BIOS and I
wouldn't forsee any major problems.  My latest buy was a Tyan Tiger 100
dual PII/PIII ATX that runs just beautifically.  Also picked up memory,
cpu, and a few other things off pricewatch, which I would suggest being
the way to go.

> 2)AMD K6-3, PII or PIII?  The serial number thing really bugs me.  I
> know there's an initiative to have the kernel return arbitrary serial
> numbers when polled.  Is this in place in a kernel rev yet?  Can it be
> reliably disabled in Windows too?  Is there a big performance increase
> in the PIII?  The hardware compatibility list supports the AMD K6-3, but
> are there really no compatibility problems at all?

Most recent BIOSes will let you disable the serial number, in some form.
Not sure how much that's will help with what you're looking for, I'm
afraid. As for a preferable cpu, I'm not gonna touch that one.  If you
want value, AMD is always the way to go, but if you want to blow a few
more bucks, I can't argue with Intel either.

> 3)Network card- I've been using $11 DEC Tulip cards, and have been happy
> with them.  Is there a prevailing favorite card for a little more money
> that might be better?

I'm a big fan of the various 3com 10/100 PCI cards (3C905B-TX
specifically). I've never run into a problem with one and they are very
well supported in the kernel.

> 4)Video card-  this one can be tricky.  I've never gone all-out on a
> video card before, but beyond the hardware compatibility list, are there
> any ones that work exceptionally well with linux and take 4MB or 8MB?
> Are AGP cards fully supported, or are there limitations?

I've recently begun using a few Matrox cards (8MB Millenium 2 PCI and a
4MB G100 AGP).  They run exceptionally well, and just about any card that
fits under a specialized server (ATI, S3) will also be nice.  I'd suggest
staying away from bleeding edge for the time being, as things like the
Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3 do have beta servers and drivers, but nothing
official.

> Thanks in advance.

Gladly.

Brian Conway