ipchains

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Jerry Feldman {75562} wrote:

> Derek Martin wrote:
>
> > I have no idea what M1X is, but the same principal applies.  I have
> > mediaone cable modem
> M1X == Mediaone eXpress.

Ahhhhhh.... I C said the blind man.  Except it isn't MediaOne express
anymore, it's Road Runner.  Same difference I guess.  We just had a big
discussion about this here at work (I work at Arris Interactive, formerly
Bay Networks, formerly LanCity, the maker of (one model of) the cable
modems Mediaone installs).

A comment on GUIs (such as Yast)... they're really good at doing things
very quickly, but they also make it easy for you to not learn how to
REALLY do something...

If your friend is using MediaOne, and he's running linux, and he doesn't
have some good filtering on his machine, it's only a matter of time before
his system is attacked.  Crackers love linux on MediaOne because it gives
them a fast jump-off point that has lots of great tools (like C compilers,
network admin tools, etc.) so they are frequently scanned and attacked.

My suggestion would be to get to know ipchains REALLY REALLY well and put
some solid filtering in place.

Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-