Building new computer. Thoughts?

On Fri, 20 Aug 1999, Brian Conway wrote:

> I've recently begun using a few Matrox cards (8MB Millenium 2 PCI and a
> 4MB G100 AGP).  They run exceptionally well, and just about any card that
> fits under a specialized server (ATI, S3) will also be nice.  I'd suggest
> staying away from bleeding edge for the time being, as things like the
> Voodoo Banshee and Voodoo3 do have beta servers and drivers, but nothing
> official.

On the contrary, I have a "Bleeding edge" TNT2 Ultra which has great
support under X. If you want to play games under Linux though, you
probably want a voodoo-based card... the 3D acceleration for the TNT2
isn't there yet, and probably won't be until the next major release of
XFree86 (4.0 I believe).

The 3dfx Banshee X server has been around a while, and if you're
interested you can get all the info you need about running 3dfx-based
boards at http://glide.xxedgexx.com/

There are even RPMs for most of the software, if you look under
(ironically) the hardware section.  It indicates that the banshee
drivers/X server also work well with the "bleeding edge" Voodoo3 cards.

--
Derek D. Martin   |  UNIX System Administrator
derek at netria.com  |  dmartin at lancity.com

-