[Discuss] IDE for GNU Makefile auto-tools

markw at mohawksoft.com markw at mohawksoft.com
Fri Sep 23 11:23:11 EDT 2022

I've been using vi (vim) and GNU make for decades. Through the years, I've
tried to use an IDE, but they are all so bad for this type of project.
Every IDE I've used has had a very proprietary view of how it should do
projects. There was one on Windows years ago called CodeWright which was
pretty good.

Before all that I used brief.

Are there any IDEs that are easy to use and just a simple "drop in" to the
work flow?

I'd like an IDE that can run make, parse the compiler output, find the
errors, and open the source file at the location of the error?

I looked at KDevelop, and in 5.2 it doesn't even seem to allow you to edit
the project build tools any more.

Any suggestions, and no, Eclipse is not an option.

Lastly, I know I can do a lot of this with vim, ctags, etc. but I would
like to use some more modern tools and maybe make life a little easier.