[Discuss] Most common (or Most important) privacy leaks

On 02/17/2015 04:03 PM, Edward Ned Harvey (blu) wrote:
> Well, writing down passwords for a little while until you memorize it
> is good. Writing it down and keeping it around changes it from
> something you know, to something you have. You might as well write
> down a 256-bit random key, if you're not going to memorize it.

Except a 256-bit random is very difficult to type. Real words are much
easier to type.

I have many of my passwords memorized, but it isn't a fixed set. My
memory is more of a cache. When I don't use a password for a while, I
will refer to my list, when I have been using it, I can type it by memory.

> Only takes 11 words to have cryptographic strength of 121. Everybody
> is capable of memorizing eleven words.

Harder than you make it sound. I have done it. It is easy to curve-fit a
concept through three or four random words, but it gets a lot harder
after that. It gets easy to start substituting a synonym or different
form for one of the words. Also, when typing blind (ie., no echo) it is
easy to make a mistake and not know where in the sequence you made it. I
have a quality encryption key that I type regularly, but not every day,
and it is surprisingly hard to do. There is an optimal level or rest and
caffeination that I don't quite know.

And speaking of encryption keys, don't confuse passwords with encryption
keys.

A password is something you check against some oracle that can throttle
the rate of its answers. That is why an ATM PIN of only 4-digits can
offer good security. But an encryption key of 4-digits is worthless for
anyone who is willing to work at it. Worthless as an encryption key but
good as a password. The two are very different. Don't confuse them.

-kb