[Discuss] OT degrees Re: SEO

On 10/28/2013 02:43 PM, Richard Pieri wrote:
> Martin Owens wrote:
>> Non-academic programmers add different skills and perspectives from
>> academic people. For me, it's a class discrimination issue and I believe
>> it to be wrong.
>
> I look at it this way: any prospective employer who would reject an
> application only for the lack a 4-year degree is an employer I don't
> want to work for.

The issue is that sometimes HR reads the job req too strictly. I got
turned down once for a contract programming job because I had too much
SuSE and not enough Red Hat, and they probably didn't consider the
additional 10 years + or commercial Unix :-)

My friend was turned down because he did not have enough "Unix
workstation" experience. They hired a non-programmer to learn on the job.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix