[Discuss] OT degrees Re: SEO

Richard Pieri wrote:
> ... there are only
> two kinds of baccalaureate degrees in the US: Arts and Science.
> Sociology and psychology are too focused for most Liberal Arts
> requirements. That leaves only one option.

Jerry Feldman pointed out:
> I have a BBA (Batchelor of Business Administration - Tulane),

And my diploma reads BEE. Bachelor of Electrical Engineering (U of Delaware).

Once you've had your first two career jobs, or gotten admitted to a graduate
program, no one will ever care which bachelor's degree you have.  (In fact, a
lot of hiring managers overlook absence of a bachelor's degree, if you're in a
hot-enough field.  I went back to college and got my degree 7 years late just
in case I ever found myself stuck in a not-hot field.)

The diploma that seems to be drying up in recent years is the Master's.  Major
universities are steering people directly into PhD programs, and not many jobs
out there target master's degree holders.  However the problem with the PhD is
it pigeon-holes you into a specific career path, one which may not be the
highest-paying in future years.

Career planning isn't easy at all.  Most of it seems to involve plain dumb
luck.  If you meet the right mentors to take you under their wing at key
points in your career, you fly high.  Without that, it's a whole lot more of a
challenge.

(Those of you who are hiring managers, think about my words.  Look for the
smarter/more-creative 20-somethings at your workplace, and find ways to boost
their careers.)

-rich