[Discuss] BLU's SEO

On 10/25/2013 07:59 PM, Derek Martin wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 25, 2013 at 07:38:01PM -0400, Richard Pieri wrote:
>>> phenomena is highly imperfect, and relies on statistical modeling to
>>> establish correlation, rather than exact measurement.
>> That's bad science for a simple reason: correlation does not imply
>> causation.
> Then medicine is not a science either... they've been relying on
> correlation since the beginning.  Ask your doctor about atypical
> presentation...
>
> And in fact physics is no different, except that typically the margin
> of error can be much smaller.  This has, however, led to things being
> labeled laws of physics in the past which were later revealed to be
> wrong.  So I guess physics isn't a science either.  Drawing your
> argument out to its extreme conclusion:  There is no such thing as
> science.
>
>>> Sociology is considered to be a science by academics everywhere;
>> This statement is patently false.
> It isn't.  I did not say ALL academics everywhere.
>
>> Some of the experimental physicists at LNS say that the theoretical
>> physicists at LNS aren't scientists.
> Ain't elitism grand?  Regardless, it conforms to many of the
> definitions used by the overwhelming majority of people who use the
> word "science" -- that makes it science.  That's how language works.

Still lots of debate regarding sociology.
http://www.researchgate.net/post/Is_sociology_a_science_Explain

Much depends on the definition of "science".

I have never seen marketing taught by a science department, and it is
usually part of a business degree in college. But, good marketing does
require a foundation of good scientific methods.

And I agree that math and statistics are very important tools both to
most sciences as well as marketing and market research. At Tulane,
statistics was taught not only by the math department, but also in the
Psychology department.

--
Jerry Feldman <gaf at blu.org>
Boston Linux and Unix