[Discuss] [OT] iOS from a power user's perspective

Rich Pieri wrote:
> Tom Metro wrote:
>> How is that different from the countless Bluetooth keyboard options
>> available for all tablets, and the Asus Transformer series that has
>> optional keyboard docks?
>
> The difference is that those are bolt-on devices. They aren't part of
> the device like the Surface keyboards.

What relevance is that? What are the practical differences that are a
result of the bolt-on alternatives?

Having not tried any of the tablet keyboard options myself, I can't say
whether any particular physical configuration is superior in actual use.
On paper, they're all functionally equivalent. And as depicted in
videos, many seem integrated as well as the Surface.

The Surface keyboard "clicks" on via magnets, no? How is that any less
"bolt-on" than the Asus Transformer keyboard docks, which the tablet
just snaps onto? (I believe the Transformers also support a variable
screen angle, unlike the Surface, where a kickstand sets the screen at a
fixed angle. The Transformer also has an additional battery in the
keyboard that extends the tablets run time. I don't remember if the
Surface includes that.)

Additionally, I've seen covers for iPads with integrated keyboards, that
seem to offer a pretty well integrated solution. I'm sure something
similar is available for Android.

Sure, some detached Bluetooth keyboard being used with a tablet you have
to prop up onto whatever random objects are lying on your work surface
is less integrated, but there are other options. The packaging of the
Surface was hardly novel. It merely borrows from ideas already in the
marketplace.

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro