[Discuss] [OT] iOS from a power user's perspective

An article where a power user (app developer), who was well entrenched
in the iOS universe (owned all iPhopne and iPad models), tries out a
Google Nexus 4 phone and compares his experiences:

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely

  In various self-experiments, I tried to leave my iPhone at home for
  the Motorola Droid, the Nexus One, the Samsung Galaxy S II and S III -
  and always switched straight back to the iPhone. None of those Android
  devices have worked for me - yet.
  It's now almost two weeks since I switched the Nexus 4 on for the
  first time - and meanwhile I completely moved to it, leaving my iPhone
  5 at home. Do I miss anything? Nope. Except iMessage. More on that
  later.

  My motivation is not to bash Platform A over Platform B. On the
  contrary: I will try to summarize my very personal findings and
  experiences based on years of using iOS.
  Putting it into a single line: The latest version of Android outshines
  the latest version of iOS in almost every single aspect.

  I find it to be better in terms of the performance, smoothness of the
  rendering engine, cross-app and OS level integration, innovation
  across the board, look & feel customizability and variety of the
  available apps.

The remainder of the article examines each aspect of that last paragraph
in detail.

If you're in the market for a smartphone, the article seems worth a read
for a few reasons: 1. a lot of tech people, including power users, use
iOS. Some might not be aware of what they are missing, if they haven't
spent much time with recent versions of Android. 2. Android has improved
a lot, and conventional wisdom about areas where iOS excels over it may
be obsolete.

If you're not a power user, then the article is of less usefulness and
the platform distinctions less significant.

(To me, the lack of third-party widgets in iOS makes it a non-starter,
and almost any version of Android more useful. I also tend to think the
differences between Android versions are a bit exaggerated. Older
versions are more laggy, but with third-party launchers it can do almost
the same stuff as ICS/Jelly Bean. Professional reviewers tend to focus
on subtitles that casual users wouldn't notice.)

 -Tom

--
Tom Metro
Venture Logic, Newton, MA, USA