preferred linux distro for workstation usage?

On Sun, Sep 12, 2010 at 8:25 PM, Ryan Pugatch <rpug-vYTEC60ixJUAvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I am curious which distro everyone prefers to use on their
> workstations (desktops and laptops).

Mac OS X. Oh, wait, you said Linux distro. I'm actually quite happy
with Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 as a workstation OS at work right now,
where the bulk of what I do is in either terminal windows or a
browser. Don't need bling, don't need bleeding-edge video codec
support, etc., just a nice stable workstation with a functional
terminal application, ssh client and chrome (I've come to the
conclusion that firefox blows). I'm moving a few of my home systems
over to RHEL6 (from Fedora) as well. My non-Apple laptop continues to
run Fedora though, as does a rather beefy system in the lab, because I
continue to do most upstream kernel work on a Fedora box. Hack, hack,
hack in git either on the laptop or the lab box, spit out patches,
build kernel rpms on the lab box (dual hexacore xeons, 18GB RAM, Intel
X25-M RAID array, aka "pretty damned fast"), then install on the
laptop to test. The laptop still has Fedora 13 installed, but
considerably newer kernels (both F14 and F15 to be kernels +
in-development patches).

--
Jarod Wilson
jarod-ajLrJawYSntWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org