ZFS update

Tom Metro wrote, On 04/04/2009 01:25 AM:
> A recent episode of the "FLOSS Weekly" podcast (hosted by Randal
> Schwartz) interviewed a couple of Sun employees responsible for their
> ZFS file system:
>
> http://twit.tv/floss58
>
> A few features I hadn't heard mentioned before include compression,
> encryption, remote replication, and the use of solid state drives as a
> sort of extended write cache to speed up write operations.
>
> They also mentioned a rumor that ZFS might be included in the next OS X
> release.
>
> They also mentioned Nexenta Systems (http://www.nexenta.com/) which
> sells both appliances and software to create enterprise scale NAS filers
> using ZFS.
>
> Oddly I don't think they mentioned FreeNAS (http://www.freenas.org/),
> which now comes with ZFS. Anyone tried it out?
>
>   -Tom

Took a quick look and ZFS doesn't appear to be available except in 0.7
which has not been released yet and look to have been in development for
awhile.  FreeNAS 0.7 is FreeBSD 7.0 based which had experimental ZFS
support.  While many people have been using ZFS since 7.x the decision
is up to you if you want to use an experimental FS on your NAS. :)
FreeBSD 8.0 will have a new version of ZFS but not sure when FreeNAS
will switch to that as a base.

I'm the process of rebuilding my home network and moving things from
physical machines to virtual machines right now and a NAS VM is on my
list.  I may end up playing with FreeNAS though OpenFiler looks to be
nice too.

tom

--
| tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org                 tmclaugh at FreeBSD.org |