Re: preferred way to setup a LAMP stack on a laptop for development?

 On Thu, Feb 28, 2008 at 06:18:15PM -0500, Brendan Kidwell wrote:
> > Editor?  Lately I've been playing with Geany.  It's fast and has almost
> > all of the features I want.  Works great on Linux and pretty good on M$.
> > http://geany.uvena.de/
>

> Thanks for the recommendation! I'm unfortunately in the market for a new
> love affair with an editor.

You didn't really say why, and you didn't give any hints as to what
about the 2 standards (vi (or vim) and emacs) make them inadequate for
you.  You may want to elaborate on those topics, to maximize the
usefulness of your recommendations.

This will hardly come as a surprise to anyone who knows me and my
background (I'm essentially a Unix sysadmin who began his career in
the early days of Linux), but I'd recommend vim.  With a RSS (physical
memory footprint) of typically less than 3MB, it's surprisingly both
lightweight (by today's standards) and feature-rich, and aside from
the weird key mappings that make most people cringe when they're first
trying to learn it, I find it's packed full of power in a package
that's pretty easy to use (once you learn at least most of the basic
key bindings, which are mostly pretty mnemonic).

It often comes as a surprise, for example, that vim (and even vi, sort
of) can edit multiple files simultaneously, and vim has the ability to
split your window into arbitrary numbers of panels to display more
than one buffer at a time.  It also does a wide variety of
auto-formatting and syntax colorization, and has plenty of other
advanced editing features.  And to be honest, once you take the time
to learn a majority of the weird key mappings, you'll probably find
that you've grown fond of them...

And the best thing is that vim, or some other vi clone, is available
by default on virtually every Unix-like system installed today.  So
knowing it well is nearly universally useful, if you're working in a
Unix-ish environment.  I learned vim pretty well around 1999 (having
used emacs as my personal editor of choice before that) though I knew
vi pretty well long before that (vim does much, much more than vi),
and today I won't use anything else to edit text of any sort, unless I
just can't avoid it.

-=-=-=-=-