More troubles with my SuSe installs

 Just when I thought I had this mastered and everything was working like I wanted, I hooked up a different monitor (older Gateway 15" SVGA) and found it wouldn't work properly. I then tried to reinstall openSuSE 10.3 on the old Gateway E-3200 (500MHz PIII, 192MB RAM, 10GB HD) with that monitor in place but it was a failure.

Since then KMix is always dead (MUTED and with its control panel blank) and can't be revived no matter what I do or how many reinstalls I do with my regular install setup (KB, Mouse & monitor on a KVM). Videolan seems to have no relationship to this problem since it is there before I add vlc, and kaffeine and other sound apps don't work at any time  I have tried to uninstall and then reinstall kmix but no luck there in fixing the problem, and I also continue to (usually) have to reset my sound card after the installs to get it to work properly (it then works fine while within the YaST panel but apparently not in any application).

Has anyone else had this problem with kmix, and might there be a dependency that I (and openSuSE) are not catching? And why might this be affecting all of my media applications' access to the sound card, but not my ability to get sound working from YaST? All the test buttons given plenty of sound once the sound panel is adjusted to high settings.

Thanks!