Re: Ubuntu Gutsy good?

    Laura> On Gutsy, I quite regularly find that the system is paging
    Laura> itself to death and has become unusably slow.

    Laura> This morning, "top" told me the memory hogging culprit was
    Laura> "udev", if that enlightens anyone.

I got the ubuntu users list to help me with this problem; it turns out
to be a really easy fix -- you remove a package called evms.

Once you know the answer, finding out more about the problem via
google is quite easy.  It turns out that evms is a package that was
known to be buggy and has been removed from the distribution.  The
upgrade manager apparently knows the right thing to do about it if you
have a system that was freshly installed on Feisty, but I had upgraded
from at least Dapper and maybe the one before that.

So it looks like the people who are still backing up their data and
doing a fresh install still have a point, although current dpkg based
distributions certainly upgrade a lot more smoothly than ancient RPM
based distributions did.

So now I have to decide whether my backup procedure is good enough to
make a fresh install on the desktop safer than an upgrade.

--
Laura (mailto:[hidden email] , http://www.laymusic.org/ )
(617) 661-8097 fax: (501) 641-5011

believed to be clean.