Knoppix on my laptop

Jarod Wilson wrote:
> On Jul 14, 2007, at 16:51, Jerry Feldman wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 14 Jul 2007 12:05:27 -0400 (EDT)
>> Scott Ehrlich <scott-DPNOqEs/LNQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>>
>>> My AMD64 Compaq Presario with ATA/IDE CD/DVD factory drive, currently
>>> running Ubuntu 7.04, refuses to let Knoppix run on it.   Both the
>>> Knoppix
>>> 5.0.1 DVD and 5.1.1 CD freeze the system at checking /dev/hda for
>>> Knoppix
>>> CD.
>>>
>>> I've seen this kind of thing happen before on other systems, but
>>> eventually the check would find the disk and continue with booting.  I
>>> think I've let it sit there for 30 minutes at one point with no change.
>>>
>>> The Compaq is obviously new enough (purchased new a couple years ago)
>>> that
>>> Knoppix should have *no* problems.
>>>
>>> Ideas/insights welcome.   CentOS and Ubuntu Live both boot fine.
>>

>> I'm researching also. Can you try Knoppix 4.x?
>> A few options I have not yet tried: nosmp, expert, noapm (although I've
>> tried failsafe that should turn apm off).
>
> It could be that the latest knoppix is using the new libata stack,
> instead of the old pata drivers, and the new libata driver for your pata
> chipset isn't being automagically loaded. Exactly how to fix that, if it
> is the case, I don't know offhand...
>
> --Jarod Wilson
If that is the case then there is some minimal help in
'kernelparameters.txt' under documentation in the recent
kernel source. The libata driver is a new animal and defines
all hd0 as scsi or sd01 etc...

Jim K-R

believed to be clean.