Knoppix on my laptop

On Sat, 14 Jul 2007, Kristian Hermansen wrote:

> On 7/14/07, Jerry Feldman <gaf-mNDKBlG2WHs at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>> I was trying to check a few things out on my laptop that currently runs
>> SuSE 10.2. However, Knoppix 5.1.5 DVD or CD fails to load:
>> It goes through the steps and enables DMA acceleration for both the HD
>> and DVD, but then  issues:
>> Can't find filesystem, sorry.
>> Dropping you to a (very limited) shell.
>> Press reset button to quit,
>
> <google>
> Question: It says "Could not find the KNOPPIX filesystem, sorry.
> Dropping you to a (very limited) shell."
> Try booting with:
>
> knoppix ide2=0x180 nopcmcia
>
> If that doesn't work, it means your PCMCIA CD-ROM drive is not
> supported. There is a workaround. In Windows, copy the directory
> called "KNOPPIX" from the Knoppix CD to the root of a local FAT
> formatted hard drive partition (eg: drive "C:"). The copy will take
> some time to complete. Then start Knoppix and specify the partition
> that you copied the KNOPPIX directory to, using the "fromhd=" boot
> parameter. For example, boot with:
>
> knoppix fromhd=/dev/hda1
>
> If Windows is not available, use a single-floppy Linux such as
> "tomsrtbt" to do the copy, however that is beyond the scope of this
> book.
> </google>
> --
> Kristian Hermansen

Another Knoppix question -

My AMD64 Compaq Presario with ATA/IDE CD/DVD factory drive, currently
running Ubuntu 7.04, refuses to let Knoppix run on it.   Both the Knoppix
5.0.1 DVD and 5.1.1 CD freeze the system at checking /dev/hda for Knoppix
CD.

I've seen this kind of thing happen before on other systems, but
eventually the check would find the disk and continue with booting.  I
think I've let it sit there for 30 minutes at one point with no change.

The Compaq is obviously new enough (purchased new a couple years ago) that
Knoppix should have *no* problems.

Ideas/insights welcome.   CentOS and Ubuntu Live both boot fine.

Thanks.

Scott

believed to be clean.