ubuntu isn't /that/ special [was: Re: fedora 7]

A couple of thoughts from the recovering (but still addicted) Windows-admin
point of view, just to steer this farther away from the original topic...

> - It is unlikely that Ubuntu will have the same commercial
> success as RedHat
> or SuSe and that's mean that companies won't pay you for that.

I must respectfully disagree.  The Ubuntu "buzz" extends well beyond the
Linux community and into parts of the Windows world that normally don't even
consider Linux.  Also, even if Dell doesn't sell many Ubuntu systems, the
fact that they are selling pre-configured Ubuntu machines is a big deal for
exposure and corporate awareness.

> - sys admins don't care about nice desktop effects which Ununtu or any
> other OS provides. I spend 99% of a time working with command
> line tools and
> not going to switch to other OS because it has some nice GUI features.

Again, if you step into the Windows universe, the ability to utilize both a
viable GUI and full command line is a significant attraction.  My first
production Linux systems were Xubuntu machines running OpenVPN and a few
other goodies- because I could fall back into my comfort zone when needed.

Also, Ubuntu could be considered a "gateway distibution" to Debian, which is
not insignificant.

Jack Daniel

believed to be clean.