ubuntu isn't /that/ special [was: Re: fedora 7]

On 6/4/07, Eugene Gorelik <eugene.gorelik-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Kristian,
>
> I think everyone respects your opinion, but you are the one who started
> Ubuntu discussion in Fedora 7 topic and insisted that everyone should try
> Ununtu.
> There is nothing wrond with Ubuntu, but I think a lot of people haven't
> tried it because of one of the following reasons:

Ahh, heh, well I guess mentioning "ubuntu" in a Fedora thread was
fopah.  However, I did think it was relevant to the gentleman who
wanted something "slick rather easily.  I apologize if people took it
the wrong way.  Hell, I run Fedora on a few machines at work.
Probably going to install FC7 this week...

> - Most of the professionals are not using Ubuntu at work and prefer to have
> the same distro on their PC's which they use at work

Fair enough.  I like variety!

> - People are busy and don't have time to play with new Linux distribution,
> just because someone said that it's cool

Fair enough, but I'm not the only one saying "it's cool".
http://distrowatch.com/stats.php?section=popularity

By that stat though, I guess we also better keep an eye on PCLinuxOS.
Heh, OK, and the "new linux distro" fad continues, right?? :-)

> - It is unlikely that Ubuntu will have the same commercial success as RedHat
> or SuSe and that's mean that companies won't pay you for that.

You may be right.  But it is definitely the first Desktop version of
Linux to be given the go-ahead by a major manufacturer, Dell, and that
has major clought...

> - sys admins don't care about nice desktop effects which Ununtu or any other
> OS provides. I spend 99% of a time working with command line tools and not
> going to switch to other OS because it has some nice GUI features.

I also <3 the CLI.  Ubuntu Server ships with no GUI by default, which
is something RHEL does not do, even in the server installation option.
 Yes, you can remove the desktop, but I'm talking about default
install...

Anyways, learning something new is fun.  And for those that have not
given Ubuntu a shot, you may be pleasantly surprised.  That's all I
have to say about that.  And you may also enjoy Fedora, Gentoo, SuSE,
or Mandriva.  Although, does anyone really use Mandriva any longer?
Is the user base slowly dying?
--
Kristian Hermansen

believed to be clean.