laptops (Was: Re: No Go Lenovo)

On Thursday 10 May 2007 09:57:03 Matthew Gillen wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
> > Two months to build and ship a laptop!  It's not like I ordered a Prius
> > or something.
>
> This thread was good for a morning chuckle :-)
>
> On a related note, I've been looking at the Panasonic Toughbooks,
> specifically the lightweight (3lb) one.  Does anyone have first hand
> experience running linux on one?  Linuxlaptops.com says they mostly work,
> except NdisWrapper is needed for wireless, which I sorely want to avoid.
>
> Is there a list somewhere of laptops that don't need NdisWrapper (or
> similar hack) for any built-in functionality?

I don't have a complete list, but here's a list of ones approved by our IS/IT
dept, which are all fully functional out of the box w/any recent linux
distro:

Lenovo ThinkPad T60
Lenovo ThinkPad T60 widescreen
(nb: the T60p is very similar to the T60, but usually has ATI x1k-series
graphics)
Lenovo ThinkPad X60
Lenovo ThinkPad X60s
IBM ThinkPad X41 (no longer shipping)
IBM ThinkPad T43
Dell Latitude D420
Dell Latitude D620
Dell Latitude D820

The T60 widescreen is the most popular among the developers here, in this
configuration:

* Intel Core 2 Duo processor T7200 (2.0GHz, 4MB L2, 667MHz FSB)
* Hardware Virtualization Extensions
* 2 GB PC2-5300 DDR2 SDRAM 667MHz SODIMM Memory (2 DIMM)
* Intel 950 Video Chipset
* 15.4 WSXGA+ TFT (1680x1050)
* 100GB Hard Disk Drive, 7200rpm
* DVD Recordable 8x Max Dual Layer, Ultrabay Slim
* 10/100/1000 ethernet card internal (Broadcom)
* WiFi 802.11a/b/g (Intel ipw3945)
* Bluetooth
* Fingerprint Reader
* T60 Essential Port Replicator