laptops (Was: Re: No Go Lenovo)

On 5/10/07, Matthew Gillen <me at mattgillen.net> wrote:
> David Kramer wrote:
> > Two months to build and ship a laptop!  It's not like I ordered a Prius
> > or something.

> Is there a list somewhere of laptops that don't need NdisWrapper (or similar
> hack) for any built-in functionality?

I'm not aware of a list of laptops, but I think you can get a pretty
good idea  on wireless issues by determing who the manufacturer of the
wireless chipset is.  Most laptops which come with wireless builtin
seem to either use a Broadcom or an Intel chipset.  In general, Intel
wireless chipsets don't need hacks while Broadcom typically do.  Some
manufacturer let you select which type of wireless you want
pre-installed in which case Intel is typically the way to go.  Note:
This is only for wireless.  I think Broadcom wired ethernet chips are
typically okay.

Good Luck,
Bill Bogstad

believed to be clean.