Double-irony of the day

On Thu, 16 Mar 2006 01:23:00 -0500, David Kramer <david at thekramers.net>
wrote:

> they misspelled "kernel" as "kernal"

Back when Commodore was sill in business, it seems that "kernal" was their
standard spelling. I remember calling them by phone, willing to foot the
cost of the call, asking about it. I don't, at the moment, remember their
reply well, but I'm fairly sure that they were quite surprised. I think it
is considered a rare variant spelling (try the OED), but it looks wrong to
me. However, as with "compatable" and numerous misspellings by de facto
consensus, it seems to be part of a new dialect of Popular English
developing in our midst. I'm coming to think that a "photographic"
(eidetic?) memory helps considerably in spelling English.

It seems that only engineers care about letter case; there are countless
instances of half-a-bit storage devices mentioned currently (512 mb;
that's millibits) and CPU clock rates roughly like the frequency of a
clock pendulum were not that rare, a few years ago -- 500 mhz (or mHz) is
500 millihertz, half a hertz, or one tick every two seconds. A mHz is
definitely a practical unit; some electronic test equipment for generating
frequencies has a resolution of one microhertz, and a few devices will
actually put out one microhertz (although it takes a while to validate
that by conventional means!).

Regards,

--
Nicholas Bodley  /*|*\ Waltham, Mass.
Teaching [creationism and evolution] suggests