[K]ubuntu

Jerry Feldman wrote:
> I just downloaded and burned some copies oth both Ubuntu and Kubuntu
> for my students. It detected a low res screen, so I personally like
> Knoppix a bit better. (Again, this is the standalone CD not the
> installed version).

When I switched to LCD panels, linux started using really low-res modes
for console mode.  Eventually it irritated me enough to figure out how
to force it.  This kernel command line option in the bootloader will
force the screen resolution in console mode to 1024x768:
 vga=0x317

For other modes:
http://www.tldp.org/HOWTO/Framebuffer-HOWTO-5.html#ss5.3

Of course, that's probably really painful for you (if you're booting off
the CD you'd have to type it in every time).
--Matt