Reliable network printing

On Mon, Jan 23, 2006 at 08:56:43PM -0500, Christoph wrote:
> 1) do any of you have similar problems with printing?
> 2) do any of you have a reliable/recommended print solution (good driver
> support + minimal manual queue maintenance) for home office with roughly
> 5 work stations?

Go for a network printer. Has all sorts of advantages. Reliability is one; no
need for a PC to be always on to be a print server is another.

I got a Brother HL-2070N a while back, which is $159 at Newegg:

  http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16828113165

It's a 20ppm black laser, with _cheap_ consumables ($39 for a 2,500 page
toner cartridge @ 5% coverage; $72 for a drum unit). It's very reliable too -
I have yet to have a paper jam, and the print count is north of 600 pages.

Oh, yeah, and it does postscript, so it works perfectly from Linux and OS X.
And presumably that from that other OS too, but I wouldn't know about that :)

Ward.

--
Pong.be         -( Weekends were made for programming. -- Karl Lehenbauer  )-
Virtual hosting -(                                                         )-