BNUG

On Fri, 2004-12-10 at 01:44, David Kramer wrote:

> John Abreau wrote, On 12/10/2004 01:34 AM:
>
> > That's a good point. The BCS Macintosh Group still operates as the
> > Boston Macintosh User Group. They started meeting in the summer of
> > 1984, ten years before we started BLU.
>
> According to http://www.bnug.org/about.htm they've been around since December
> of 1986.  Maybe I'll drop them an email.

I received my first BCS membership as a Christmas gift in December,
and the first meeting I attended was the BCS Macintosh meeting in
January. My first MacTechGroup meeting was the following week.

Actually, now that I think about it, Glenn had loaned me money to buy
a MacPlus, shortly after they were available, and then gave me the
BCS membership for Christmas that year. He had been using a Mac 512K
for a while before that.

The original Mac, with a mere 128K of RAM, came out in 1984. Sometime
later Apple came out with a 512K Mac they called the "Fat Mac", and
they called the 128K Mac the "Skinny Mac". At BCS, we referred to
the 512K Mac as the "Skinny Mac" and the 128K Mac as the "Anorexic Mac",
on the theory that 1 MB of RAM was the minimum necessary to really
use the machine effectively.

Anyway, my memory seems to have hiccuped in my previous message. The
MacPlus wasn't released in 1984, so the first BCS Macintosh meeting
I attended wasn't in January 1985 as I had misremembered. If the
MacPlus came out in 1985, then that meeting was in January 1986.

Email jabr at blu.org / WWW http://www.abreau.net / PGP-Key-ID 0xD5C7B5D9