OT: Networks, 19th century style

I've always been into networks and infrastructure, and have recently
started collecting some old (1940-1950's) computer texts. I decided to
read through some of Babbage's writings from the 1830's just for fun (
The entire text can be found at:
http://www.gutenberg.net/etext03/cnmmm10.txt), and was struck by a few
gems. It sure seems to me he envisioned packet switched networks!

"[...] Let us imagine a series of high pillars erected at frequent
intervals, perhaps every hundred feet, and as nearly as possible in a
straight line between two post towns."

So far, sounds like a point-to-point link. Leased line perhaps?

"An iron or steel wire must be stretched over proper supports, fixed on
each of these pillars, and terminating at the end of every three or five
miles, as may be found expedient, in a very strong support, by which it
may be stretched. At each of these latter points a man ought to reside
in a small stationhouse."

Hey, we've got a router tying together two (or more) physical links.
"Mr. Cisco, my good man. Please route this packet for me!"

"A narrow cylindrical tin case, to contain the letters, might be
suspended by two wheels rolling upon this wire"

Data encapsulation!

"[...] In order to convey the cylinder which contains the letters, it
would only be necessary to attach it by a string, or by a catch, to
either of the branches of the endless wire. Thus it would be conveyed
speedily to the next station, where it would be removed by the attendant
to the commencement of the next wire, and so forwarded."

I imagine on a good night over a few pints of stout, Mr. Babbage
might've gotten into discussions about disseminating "routing
information" with neighboring "routermen." I can imagine elaborate
pre-Victorian "routing tables" being circulated and meticulously maintained.

OK, admittedly some of it falls apart badly...

" [...] Perhaps if the steeples of churches, properly selected, were
made use of, connecting them by a few intermediate stations with some
great central building, as, for instance, with the top of St Paul's; and
if a similar apparatus were placed on the top of each steeple, with a
man to work it during the day, it might be possible to diminish the
expense of the two-penny post, and make deliveries every half hour over
the greater part of the
metropolis."

I suppose a "network crash" might involve roof tiles and large chunks of
concrete falling into the street at that point.

I hate to think what a virus or worm might look like!

- Bob