router recommendations

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:42:18PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
> Indeed one of the things I can't stand about the wi-fi config settings on all
> the cards I've tried thus far is that you can only have one configuration
> stored at a time.  I have to keep network keys in a text file and cut/paste
> them into the silly dialog box whenever I move from one LAN to the next.
> Drives me crazy.  I can't imagine doing support for an office LAN for
> employees who also have a home LAN and a separate one at a parent's house and
> maybe a university campus too.  It should just *work* without having to futz
> with long hexadecimal strings.

Erm... on Windows, you go to Setup New Network Connection,
select the adapter, enter the info, et voila. When you want to
change, you go to the Control Panel and click the appropriate
icon.

In Linux, I would use discover or a similar package.

> I have started an ISP, built it to a bunch of employees, and sold it off.
> That act was made possible in part by one key innovation in PC usability:  the
> bundling of TCP/IP and DHCP into Windows95, following the introduction of a
> self-install kit called "Internet-in-a-Box" which attempted (valiantly but not
> quite as successfully as the Win95 installation script) to make it possible
> for neophytes to plug themselves into the 'net without having to learn basic
> IP routing.  If Windows95 worked as badly as today's wi-fi products, then my

We had it tougher in my day: we had to distribute Trumpet
Winsock and support it...

-dsr- btdtgtts