router recommendations

dsr at tao.merseine.nu said on 5/13/2004 8:53 PM:

> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:42:18PM -0400, Rich Braun wrote:
>
>>I have started an ISP, built it to a bunch of employees, and sold it off.
>>That act was made possible in part by one key innovation in PC usability:  the
>>bundling of TCP/IP and DHCP into Windows95, following the introduction of a
>>self-install kit called "Internet-in-a-Box" which attempted (valiantly but not
>>quite as successfully as the Win95 installation script) to make it possible
>>for neophytes to plug themselves into the 'net without having to learn basic
>>IP routing.  If Windows95 worked as badly as today's wi-fi products, then my
>

> We had it tougher in my day: we had to distribute Trumpet
> Winsock and support it...

Ahhh, I remember Trumpet! $30 got you the software and a book and dialup
net access. This was around 1993 and my computer was a 486SX (couldn't
convince my dad to get the coprocessor) w/ 4MB RAM. Another 4MB cost me
$160 a year or two later, so I can't complain about current prices. :-)

Drew
Drew Taylor          *  Web app development & consulting
drew at drewtaylor.com  *  Site implementation & hosting
www.drewtaylor.com   *  perl/mod_perl/DBI/mysql/postgres