In defense (was Re: what to do about Windows email worms)

On Jan 28, 2004, at 9:14 AM, Dan Barrett wrote:

> On Wednesday 28 January 2004 08:40, Rich Braun wrote:
>> My list includes:
>>   - Excel/Word
>
> OpenOffice 1.x works fine -- I say that as the lone Linux user in a
> Windows-only shop.  It's in my interest to blend in and keep quiet,
> and I

Blah blah blah. This same dude was recently complaining that OO.org 1.1
wouldn't properly save his resume properly in Word format. OO.org is
great, but its not perfect.

However, Crossover Office truly is a fantastic product (I'm a beta
tester), and I can definitely recommend that if you can deal with some
graphical glitches.

>>   - TaxCut
>>   - Quicken
>>   - Quickbooks
>
> There are some GNUCash and Kapital users on this list: now's the time
> for them
> to pipe up.

Yeah, I used Kapital and maintain some Gentoo ebuilds for it. Don't use
it unless you don't care about accurate balances. GNUCash I tried, it
has 300 million dependancies and I just got bored trying to compile it.
For taxes, I just use the web version of TurboTax. I know that might
not be the greatest for my privacy, but I get to use the platform of my
choice.

>>   - Exact Audio Copy
>
> If it's CD audio extraction we're talking about, _nothing_ on earth
> comes
> close to cdparanoia, and the best part is that Konqueror uses it and
> lame to
> give you drag-n-drop ripping.  Any other need you might have is
> covered by

KDE's audio CD access can be used to just drag wav's directly as well,
no need to encode to mp3/ogg unless you want to. Also, if you mean an
exact audio copy of the CD, I think there are Linux tools for that as
well.

>>   - Citrix Client

Doesn't Citrix make a Linux / Unix client?

--
Please avoid sending me Word or other Office attachments.