A distribution bytes the dust!

On Tue, 2003-11-04 at 13:59, Derek Atkins wrote:
> Bob Keyes <bob at sinister.com> writes:
>
> > Prism2
>
> Prism2 isn't supported by ANY distro by default, AFAIK.  It's not
> in Red Hat, either.  I dont know why the linux-wlan driver isn't
> incorporated into the kernel, or packaged by distros.. But c'est le vie.

Wrong.

This email is being sent through a Prism2-based card (Linksys WPC11 v3)
on a RH 9 system.  The card was auto-detected and worked fine on open
networks.  It works well on closed networks after correctly setting the
SSID/password.

And it worked about equally as well on RH 8.  Most Prism2-based cards
will work just fine with three drivers:

  wvlan_cs (old, not so good)

  orinoco_cs (better and what I use and is default for most cards
    on RH 9)

  linux-wlan (supposedly the best in terms of features but a pain
    to install and configure)

Ed

--
Edward H. Hill III, PhD
office:  MIT Dept. of EAPS;  Room 54-1424;  77 Massachusetts Ave.
email:   eh3 at mit.edu,  ed at eh3.com