A distribution bytes the dust!

On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 04, 2003 at 12:17:49PM -0500, Bob Keyes wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, 4 Nov 2003 dsr at tao.merseine.nu wrote:
> >
> > What's un-nice about it is that the stable releases are lacking a lot of
> > things, such as support for 802.11 cards, and that certain things have
>
> Haven't noticed that using Lucent/Orinoco cards. What were you using?

Prism2

> > remained broken, such as a problem with old, isa based pcmcia adapters.
>
> Again, no problem with the two (unnamed, but both using Intel chips)
> that I've used.

i82365 chipset? That's what I am using. "unresolved symbols" error
results. using the yenta driver is the suggested fix, but this creates
many other problems.

> > Another bad thing is the bloatware -- why a server has to have all this
> > crud related to X11 I do not know. And emacs -- don't mean to get in a
>
> My mail server has no X on it at all.

No X server, but X libs and header files perhaps?

> > religious war here but why is this in the default install? There are also
>
> It's not. It's in an optional package list, which you should have had
> presented to you along the way.

Oh sure, you can dselect it, but why is it default in the first place?

> I know this because I keep installing emacs after-the-fact for people
> who come up to me and ask why it isn't there.

Um then something is a bit wierd here. I am using 3.0. What are you using?

> > some real problems with a clunky install, with package collisions (mtr and
> > mtr-tiny) resolvable just by doing the default thing, but unnerving.
> >
> > I think that the debian project needs a dose of project philosophy, and
> > here's mine:
>
> Good. Join the project, wield influence proportional to your effort.

I shall. Like I said, I think what the project needs most is hands on,
especially as far as testing goes.