emc/h1-b

Seth Gordon <sethg at ropine.com> wrote:

>You missed jc's point -- if the H1-B program is shut off completely as
>long as the *general* unemployment rate is above a certain level, then
>US employers with *specific* needs that really truly can't be met by any
>US citizens will be out of luck.  The shortage of Arabic-speakers
>working for the US government, and its national security implications,
>is just one example of this kind of specific need.

Frankly, I think high unemployment is a more pressing national security
issue not to mention the fact that "temporary" foreigners are getting
access to the inner workings of our businesses (in source code) -- a
potential security issue in itself.  Furthermore, this legislation will
make it harder to get a H1B/L1 visa in the first place because the
government will want to make sure that there are enough visas in case of
an emergency.