XWindow Woes

I managed to screw up X on my laptop today :(  And need some help straitening it out.
What happened is I updated my kernel and it up2date complained about the NVIDIA modules, so
I removed them and up2date ran fine.  So after the kernel update I re-build the NVIDIA kernel
modules for the new kernel and installed it (along with the GLX library from nvidia.
But now I have a wierd problem, when I try and start X I get the following:

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libvgahw.a
(II) Module vgahw: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Depth 16, (--) framebuffer bpp 16
(==) NVIDIA(0): RGB weight 565
(==) NVIDIA(0): Default visual is TrueColor
(==) NVIDIA(0): Using gamma correction (1.0, 1.0, 1.0)
(--) NVIDIA(0): Linear framebuffer at 0xD8000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): MMIO registers at 0xFD000000
(--) NVIDIA(0): VideoRAM: 32768 kBytes
(WW) NVIDIA(0): Multiple displays connected, but only one display allowed;
(WW) NVIDIA(0):      using boot display
XIO:  fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"
      after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.

and I don't get X, also it leaves the screen in a state where I have to hit ctrl-alt-f1 to get
back to my terminal.

Just to confuse matters this doesn't happen if I use an external monitor.  that comes up and
runs pretty well.  (some of the display is off the screen, but it's at least usable).  However
needing to use an external monitor defeats the purpose of having a laptop.  So my question is
how do I fix it?  X dies because it claims the connect was reset by the peer, but it's on the
same system... which really confuses me.

thanks

-fjr