Cable Modems

Hi Jerry,

I purchased a Motorola Surfboard SB4100 from Circuit City in August, and
have had no problems with it since. It is one of the highest rated cable
modems out there.  I don't know about other ones, but the SB4100 has its own
mini web server which can give you diagnostic information, such as signal
strength, a logfile of the modem's bootup, MAC addresses, etc.  If you check
out some of the discussions on the ATTBI forum on www.dslreports.com, you
will see people there leaning in that direction. The 3com 'sharkfin' modem
is one that people seem to shy away from.  I don't know anything about the
Linksys or Toshiba.

Peter

p.s. Most cable modems that have an internal webpage can be found at
http://192.168.100.1 from your web browser.
--
Peter R. Wood (Lists) - lists at prwdot.org - http://prwdot.org/