Cable Modems

peter said:
> modems out there.  I don't know about other ones, but the SB4100 has its own
> mini web server which can give you diagnostic information, such as signal
> strength, a logfile of the modem's bootup, MAC addresses, etc.
>
> p.s. Most cable modems that have an internal webpage can be found at
> http://192.168.100.1 from your web browser.

hey, an integrated webserver in a cable modem sounds pretty neat!

...but i'm entirely puzzled about how it would work.  it's obious enough
in the case of cable/dsl router/firewall products where rfc1918 address
space is in use, but how would this thing possibly intercept web traffic
destined to the default router's mac address and rfc1918 ip addresses?

could it be analyzing every packet at wirespeed?  amazing for a consumer
grade product.

anyone?

/chris