Running Web server on ATT BroadBand

The issue is that these providers want to limit upstream straffic on their net. The technical reason
(very general) is that upstream bandwidth on Cable is limited. Initially, Mediaone allowed it
because they did not provide for user space on their servers until fairly late in the game. The issue
comes down to dollars. In essence, cable modem service was a residential service. Today AT&T
BB is selling it as a commercial service at commercial rates (as well as residential rates).

My wife uses her personal pages nearly to the max for her ebay stuff. She also uses my personal
pages for some stuff especially when she might be approaching max. But, there are some
advantages by using BB's personal pages over using your own server. One is better bandwidth
and another is better security of your own machine (depending on your own firewall setups). Why
have people beating on your own system when they can do it on AT&T's servers. I shut down port
80 on my firewall when I saw all the CODE RED stuff in my logs.